We met with Korean Artist Sun-Hyuk Kim In Seoul to chat about Art, Reality… and why I think the movie Annihilation probably owes him royalties for his art! To meet amazing artists like Sun-Hyuk in Seoul, Japan, China and elsewhere, contact Asia Art Tours today! He is happy to welcome you into his studio and show you some of his favorite artists and galleries in Seoul.
Below is our interview with this amazing mixed-media visionary.
1. When did you decide to become an artist? How would you describe your work?
At the age of 23, I decided to become an artist. I thought this was the only thing I could do.
My art is a tool to discover the truth and remind it to myself, to viewers through various visual media.
2. What are the biggest challenges facing Korean artists today?
Artists are in a situation that they complain little by little about the injustice of being used in exhibitions by museums and galleries without getting a fair price or any support.
However, it will be still a long way off to go to such a cultural advanced country.
3. What are some of your influences and what artists inspire you?
I get inspiration from everything around me: nature, people, events, society and so on.
I’m inspired in the way of expression by Magritte a lot.
4. What stories or emotions do you like to show in your artwork?
I want to make people feel how weak and imperfect we are in front of god.
5. What other Korean artists would you recommend to travelers who want to learn more about Korean art?
I want to recommend Yong-Sun Jang who is an emerging artist in Korea.